So here are the details. Or at least, the details such as we think they might happen. Subject to change at any moment. 🙂
We’ll be flying (on points! THANK YOU @frugaltravelguy!) into and out of Munich. Our plan is to spend a couple of days there, exploring if possible and basically getting over jet lag and getting back on our feet. It’s one thing to just grab a cup of coffee (or 3…) and suck it up as an adult, but when you’re traveling with a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old, it’s best to plan in some time to acclimatize. We have 27 days total (including days we fly). So here’s how the itinerary stands right now:
- Day 1 – Fly to Munich.
- Day 2 & 3– Rest and possibly explore some of Munich.
- Day 4 – Drive to Salzburg
- Day 5- Salzburg
- Day 6 – Drive to Melk and explore.
- Day 7 – Take boat to Krems and return by train or bus.
- Day 8 – Drive to Vienna.
- Day 9 & 10 – Vienna
- Day 11 & 12 – Drive to Bratislava and explore.
- Day 13 – Drive to Graz and explore.
- Day 14 & 15 – Drive to Hallstatt and explore.
- Day 16 – Drive through the Austrian Alps. Stop at Fusch an der Großglocknerstraße for the night.
- Day 17 – Drive to Innsbruck
- Day 18 – Innsbruck
- Day 19 – Drive to Lichtenstein and explore.
- Day 20 – Drive to Neuschwanstein Castle and visit it.
- Day 21 – Return to Munich.
- Day 22 – 26 – Up for grabs! We could spend more time in a place we’re already going, add additional destinations in Austria, see more of Slovakia, check out more castles in Bavaria – we really don’t know! How would you spend those extra days in this part of the world?
We’d welcome any suggestions for our trip! Where should we go that’s not on the list? What should we see once we’re there? Where’s fabulous to eat? We’re so excited to get back out there and explore our world as a family of four, now. We can’t wait!